Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

New Years Eve Ideas

Hey Y'all,

So I'm gonna go ahead and apologize that I don't have a NYC neighborhood shopping rundown ready for this week. What can I say...your fashionista's schedule is packed to the brim with parties and what nots, and I just can't get to it at the moment. I'll do my best to get a start later this week when things are a wee bit quieter. But again, no promises.

So I'm currently doing a lil window shopping for New Years Eve dresses, and I really like the sequin look, as featured in this spread from last Friday's Women's Wear Daily:


and as Thandie Newton is sporting in this picture:

Beautiful.

Every single magazine under the sun has advertised this $198 French Connection dress:

What can I say, it's super cute. It would look amazing with tights and some chunky sandals, but I promise, 5 girls will have this dress on at any party you go to.

Same case for this Club Monaco dress that Joy Bryant is sporting:

It's $298. A lot of money for a dress you might wear just once.

I went online searching for a few alternatives.

This dress by Adrianna Papell:

Is a wee bit more affordable at $179 at Nordstrom.

Another option is to buy a sequin top, and wear it with dark jeans, like this top by BCBG:

Which is about $300 at Nordstrom.

You could also wear a sequin blazer like this $500 one by Isli:

With an understated top and a cute jeans.

The problem with sequins: they're so expensive! I haven't found any affordable options online....maybe I'll go with a different design (satin, prints, great accessories) for New Years Eve.
I'll let you know what I decide.
Smootches!
Sales, Sales
* From NY Mag: The Metropolitan Museum of Art Store is taking 20 to 50 percent off sculpture reproductions, books, and stationery.
When: 12/19–1/31; for store locations and hours, call 800-468-7386.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're so right on with this one Claire! Sequins (esp dresses) are so expensive! I happen to have a really cute black sequined shrug by 525 America available for purchase in my sample sale inventory. Here is a link to the item - it retails $99 and can be found online for $74. I am selling it for $45. Interested parties contact me at tvvalstyle@gmail.com

http://www.flcrooks.com/browseproducts/525-America-Beaded-Sequin-Shrug.html

Another cute holiday option is the satin peacock top or dress by Bilingual. Paris Hilton was photographed in the dress (tho why on earth did she wear a belt) and the top was featured in In Style.
I wore the purple version of the dress w/ black opaque tights to a holiday party this weekend and felt hella fab :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BILINGUAL-DRESS-AS-ON-CELEBRITY-US-8-IT-42-UK-10_W0QQitemZ280047613989QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.iheartthat.com/2006/11/08/paris-hilton-in-bilingual-peacock-dress/

the instyle feature you can see on my page or the bilingual press site. www.myspace.com/vifg or www.bilingualclothingnyc.com

Someone is selling the dress on ebay for $400 which makes no kinda sense seeing as how you can get it for $59 directly from the designer. Both items are currently on sale now at the Bilingual shop at The Edge Boutqiue in NoHo on Bleecker Street. They retail over $100. If you go, ask for Lois and tell her Val sent ya! ;)

mr.quite frankly said...

i've been a visual merchandiser and stylist for both companies (Club Mo & FCUK)... those dresses only look good on the waifish for its whom they were intended for. anything over a 4 is a no go & definitely not worth the price as you stated love.