Real Style shopping fashion bomb tv Style File Look for Less Breaking into Fashion Claires Life What to Wear Trends Designers Fashion News

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Style File: Hip Hop Girlfriends

"She looks like one of those rap guys' girlfriends/ But, y'know, who understands those rap guys? *scoff*/They only talk to her, because, she looks like a total prostitute, 'kay?/ She's just so ... black!" Intro "Baby Got Back" Sir Mix A Lot
Happy Thursday!
So I'm bumming a computer again. This friend has Photoshop...and y'all it has changed my life! When I get my new sleek black laptop, I'm definitely going to have to upgrade...tell me if you agree.
So today I decided to take a bit of a different turn for this week's Style File. Instead of looking at the celebs who make tracks, host shows, or rock catwalks, I wanted to look at the women who act as sidekicks, confidantes, and arm candy to hip hop stars...
...that's right their girlfriends.
It takes a lot to go from virtual anonymity to stuntin' the red carpet with flair and style. The following honeys try their very best to step up to the plate. Let's take a look:
Kanye's Boo Alexis Phifer...

Seems to have had no trouble at all stepping her game up.
For the carpet, she rocks black with the best of them whether in thigh skimming cocktail frocks or strapless pantsuits...

Or short girly dresses in white or cream...
Whatever she does, she keeps it super sophisticated...
..even when chillin with moms.
T.I.'s petite girlfriend Tiny might not have the dress game on lock, but with bags, she has 'em all beat! Whether she's mingling at a fancy event...
or just chillin with her man at the club...
She never fails to upgrade her 'around the way' swagger with a very large and very expensive Louis V, Gucci or Yves Saint Laurent.
Work it girl!
Next up, Ursh's new wife and baby momma...
Tameka Foster.
Now, she's a label girl at heart and loves her status bags as well...
But also mixes it up in a variation of shiny dresses in cream or black...
...or even an exotic print and skinny jeans...
...for something more casual.
Not my taste, but ok!
Last, but not least, we have the mother of all Hip Hop Girlfriends...
...Kim Porter.
Now I know you're saying, "Didn't you read that Essence article?!? Her and Diddy aren't together!"
Pish Posh. She's the only stable thing in his life. Please believe they'll be on again soon enough and on the cover of Ebony in six months holding their babies. Moving on....
Kim seems to favor standard white and black dresses (preferably strapless)...
With a hot fur thrown in for dramatic effect...
Hmmm...ok.
Want the look?
Start with a demure dress...

Left to Right: Lotta Stensson Black Jersey Flounce Dress , $60, www.bluefly.com; Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti Satin Strapless Dress, $995, www.eluxury.com; Manoush Dody Strapless Dress, $115, www.net-a-porter.com.
Throw in a hot shoe...

Left to Right: Charles David Peony, $275, www.piperlime.com; Christian Louboutin Specchio Very Prive Pump, $770, www.neimanmarcus.com; Enzo Angiolini Maylie , $95, www.piperlime.com.
And whatever you do, don't forget that status bag!

Left to right: Louis Vuitton Damier Canvas Duomo , $1,360, www.eluxury.com; Gucci Ivory Leather Bouvier Hobo , $876, www.bluefly.com; Louis Vuitton Epi Leather Jasmin , $1,120, www.eluxury.com
Only the best will do!
Smootches!
PS Join The Fashion Bomb Group on Facebook.com!
PSS Hopefully this made up for me being MIA on Tues...
PSSS Thanks Elsa!

7 comments:

The Glam Life said...

I liked this post a lot, very nice!

Anonymous said...

Can you tell me specifically what type of bag that is Tameka Foster is carrying? It's probably something that I won't afford, but that red bag is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Kim's red bag is a Valentino.

http://www.bagsnob.com/2007/08/weekend_bag_spy.html

Anonymous said...

kanye's girlfriend is super cute...!
I want to get as small as her.
But I won't say anything about T.I.'s baby mother because I want to be nice...but I guess she does have a nice purse game.
I guess...
doesn't she kind of favor ICE-T? Just a little bit...
who knows they might be cousins, right.

My computer is also broken...so we are in the same situation.

Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

of all of them, alexis has the best style. tiny finally got some help. she's been looking a lot better. tameka foster and kim porter, hmmm.... ok. they still need some work. but tameka's bags are cute. poor kim. what was with that fur and that dress...

Lee said...

Not only are you writing skills up tp par, your style is smokin. I might be jocking as my man would say, But it's women like you that give me the ability to say I like Her style!

The Bee is out!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, these rap celebs needs some more hip hop jewelry.